REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS – CALL TO KINETIC ARTISTS
King City, a small city located in the southern Salinas Valley of the California Central Coast in Monterey County, is inviting artists to submit qualifications for three public art opportunities. In King City, the summers are warm, arid, and clear, and the winters are cold, wet, and partly cloudy. The City does experience quite a lot of wind, hence the goal to commission kinetic sculpture. The windiest months are March through September, with an average of 8 mph, however wind speed often exceeds 30 mph.
The committee is seeking innovative, dynamic, compelling, kinetic artworks that are engineered and designed with materials that will withstand the elements. They may be interactive but must be safe.
All three opportunities are calling for original, outdoor, kinetic artwork. Professional kinetic public artists or artist teams are eligible to apply. The proposed cost for each project shall not exceed the following:
• Downtown Plaza – $100,000
• Step up King City – $115,000
• Series of 6 Median Kinetic Sculptures – $120,000 (not to exceed 4.5’w)
All expenses for the selected designs and commissions are the responsibility of the artist/team, including but not limited to: travel/lodging, transportation, fabrication, engineering, and all other artist’s miscellaneous expenses. RFQ Finalists will receive an honorarium to create their proposals.
Deadline for RFQ submissions November 22, 2022
RFQ finalists announced December 5, 2022
Proposal deadline February 15, 2023
Finalists announced March 1, 2023
Installation Step Up King City August 2023
Installation Downtown Plaza/Medians October 2023
To be considered, applicants must submit:
1. Letter of Interest: (Maximum 250 words) If you are applying as a team, please include each collaborator and specify in which project you are interested.
2. Resume: (Maximum 2 pages or one page per collaborator)
3. Samples of your work should be specific to the project theme and styles outlined in the project summary- a maximum of five (5) digital image/video files with corresponding titles to match the Support Description list.
4. Support Description list: (Maximum 2 pages) For each image/file submitted, include relevant project information (description, size, budget, location, commissioning organization).
5. References: Please provide 3 references. Include names and contact information (phone, email, address)
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org