Please refer to Mendocino County Public Health Department for latest updates on pandemic mitigation orders and support.
Mendocino Art Center’s
MENDOCINO OPEN PAINT OUT – A Plein Air Festival
September 16-22, 2019
The Mendocino Art Center (MAC) hosts the seventh annual Mendocino Open Paint Out (MOPO), a plein air festival. The Mendocino Coast, located along a beautiful expanse of the Pacific Ocean in northern California, is a spectacular setting for a plein air festival. Artists claim that the quality of light is unlike anywhere else in the world.
From the rugged surrounding landscape, to the bay and beaches, to the quaint Victorian architecture and water towers in the town of Mendocino, to the nearby vineyards and wineries, artists are sure to find abundant creative inspiration. And, you will remember the beauty and tranquility of the Mendocino Coast long after your visit.
Download an application:
Or visit the Mendocino Open Paint Out website:
Join fellow artists on the picturesque northern California coast for the Mendocino Open Paint Out.
• Compete for more than $9,000 in cash and prizes, including advertisements in Plein Air Magazine and Southwest Art.
• Sell your artwork in daily wet paint exhibitions in a professional gallery space
• Stay on campus, steps from the Pacific Ocean (book early, rooms fill quickly!)
• Meet and mingle with the featured artists at a complimentary pizza party
• Enjoy festive nightly social gatherings at the Mendocino Art Center. Food and beverages available for purchase.
• Watch demonstrations hosted by featured artists
• Compete in the Quick Draw Competition & Sale
• Attend the People’s Choice Party and the celebratory reception and awards presentation
• Start each day with a complimentary continental breakfast
• And, of course, paint en plein air daily!
This year’s open competition is juried by our featured artists:
John Hewitt, co-founder
Patricia Rose Ford
The Mendocino Open Paint Out is sponsored by:
Plein Air Magazine, Southwest Art and John Hewitt