Participate in the exciting creative activities we have lined up! See below for details on upcoming classes and productions!
1) Jose Rivera’s Sueño: Auditions are slated for Monday August 21 at 6 PM. I will be directing. We are also looking for stage crew. For more information, go to https://www.mendocino.edu/theatre-performances. Scripts are available at the college instruction office (now located in the college library).
2) Dance Repertory production: Auditions will be on Wednesday August 23 at 6 PM. The director is Eryn Schon Brunner. Eryn and I will be collaborating on scheduling, so performers will be able to participate in both Sueño and the dance production. Come audition for both!
FALL SEMESTER THEATRE CLASSES:
All classes may be taken individually as or as part of the intensive conservatory experience. The fall 2017 classes are:
1) THE 115C / THE 215A: Introduction to Stagecraft (section 0592 or 0589), 3 units: learn about set design & construction from our wonderful new Technical Director Steve Decker, and get your hands dirty building & painting the magical & beautiful set for Sueño. The class meets Mondays & Wednesdays from 1:30-3:50 PM. 3 units.
2) THE 210B: Beginning Acting (section 0717), 3 units: This class is essential for all actors. It will build your confidence on stage and strengthen your imaginative capabilities. Open to students from high school through retirement! I will be the instructor; we will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-5:20 PM.
3) THE 210C: Intermediate Acting (section 0715), 3 units: This class builds upon the acting techniques developed in THE 210B: Beginning Acting (which is a required prerequisite for the course). If you have completed Beginning Acting, please consider enrolling in this course. I will teach the class. More than any acting class I teach, this is the one in which I really see actors transform. This semester, I also plan to integrate some of the new techniques I studied this summer at the Dell’Arte School of Physical Theatre…Powerful & fun stuff…Come join me! The class will meet Mondays & Wednesdays from 4-5:50 PM.
4) THE 212 A, B & C: The Actor’s Voice (sections 0586, 0588 & 0589), 1 unit: Taught by Alicia Bales. Alicia is a Mendocino College alum who went on to study at UC Berkeley and then to train at the Royal Central School of Speech & Drama in London. This class will not only help you strengthen the range, power & resonance of your speaking voice, but will also help you be more grounded, authentic & relaxed on stage. It is useful for actors and also for anybody who wants to be more confident in their speaking voice. Class meets Friday from 3-6 PM.
5) THE 217 A , B & C (sections 056s): Costuming. This is the sequence of costuming classes, taught by our queen of the costume realm Kathy Dingman-Katz. This class will meet Tuesday evenings from 6-9:50 PM. You’ll have an opportunity to help design & construct the costumes for Sueño as well as to create an original costume of your own following work on the production.
5) THE 230 A, B, C or D: Contemporary Dance (section 0269, 0270, 2071 or 2072), 2 units: This is the sequence of Contemporary Dance classes, taught by Eryn Schon-Brunner. Contemporary Dance is essential for actors, opening up the creative expression of your body. The class meets Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1:30-3:20 PM.
9) MUS 230 A, B or C: Singing, 1 unit: This is the sequence of Marilyn Simpson’s wonderful singing classes. The class will meet Mondays and Wednesdays from 1-1:50 (sections 0515, 0517, & 0519) or Wednesdays from 4:30-6:20 (sections 0550, 0551 or 0552).
If you have any questions, please call me at 468-3172 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. I hope to be working with you in the coming semester!