Please refer to Mendocino County Public Health Department for latest updates on pandemic mitigation orders and support.
Participate in the exciting creative activities we have lined up! See below for details on upcoming classes and productions!
1) Jose Rivera’s Sueño: Auditions are slated for Monday August 21 at 6 PM. I will be directing. We are also looking for stage crew. For more information, go to https://www.mendocino.edu/theatre-performances. Scripts are available at the college instruction office (now located in the college library).
2) Dance Repertory production: Auditions will be on Wednesday August 23 at 6 PM. The director is Eryn Schon Brunner. Eryn and I will be collaborating on scheduling, so performers will be able to participate in both Sueño and the dance production. Come audition for both!
FALL SEMESTER THEATRE CLASSES:
All classes may be taken individually as or as part of the intensive conservatory experience. The fall 2017 classes are:
1) THE 115C / THE 215A: Introduction to Stagecraft (section 0592 or 0589), 3 units: learn about set design & construction from our wonderful new Technical Director Steve Decker, and get your hands dirty building & painting the magical & beautiful set for Sueño. The class meets Mondays & Wednesdays from 1:30-3:50 PM. 3 units.
2) THE 210B: Beginning Acting (section 0717), 3 units: This class is essential for all actors. It will build your confidence on stage and strengthen your imaginative capabilities. Open to students from high school through retirement! I will be the instructor; we will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-5:20 PM.
3) THE 210C: Intermediate Acting (section 0715), 3 units: This class builds upon the acting techniques developed in THE 210B: Beginning Acting (which is a required prerequisite for the course). If you have completed Beginning Acting, please consider enrolling in this course. I will teach the class. More than any acting class I teach, this is the one in which I really see actors transform. This semester, I also plan to integrate some of the new techniques I studied this summer at the Dell’Arte School of Physical Theatre…Powerful & fun stuff…Come join me! The class will meet Mondays & Wednesdays from 4-5:50 PM.
4) THE 212 A, B & C: The Actor’s Voice (sections 0586, 0588 & 0589), 1 unit: Taught by Alicia Bales. Alicia is a Mendocino College alum who went on to study at UC Berkeley and then to train at the Royal Central School of Speech & Drama in London. This class will not only help you strengthen the range, power & resonance of your speaking voice, but will also help you be more grounded, authentic & relaxed on stage. It is useful for actors and also for anybody who wants to be more confident in their speaking voice. Class meets Friday from 3-6 PM.
5) THE 217 A , B & C (sections 056s): Costuming. This is the sequence of costuming classes, taught by our queen of the costume realm Kathy Dingman-Katz. This class will meet Tuesday evenings from 6-9:50 PM. You’ll have an opportunity to help design & construct the costumes for Sueño as well as to create an original costume of your own following work on the production.
5) THE 230 A, B, C or D: Contemporary Dance (section 0269, 0270, 2071 or 2072), 2 units: This is the sequence of Contemporary Dance classes, taught by Eryn Schon-Brunner. Contemporary Dance is essential for actors, opening up the creative expression of your body. The class meets Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1:30-3:20 PM.
9) MUS 230 A, B or C: Singing, 1 unit: This is the sequence of Marilyn Simpson’s wonderful singing classes. The class will meet Mondays and Wednesdays from 1-1:50 (sections 0515, 0517, & 0519) or Wednesdays from 4:30-6:20 (sections 0550, 0551 or 0552).
If you have any questions, please call me at 468-3172 or e-mail email@example.com. I hope to be working with you in the coming semester!